Residence permit

The application for a (provisional) residence permit is required for expats who want to live and work in the Netherlands if the stay is longer than 90 days. However, the specific application, which should be submitted, depends on various factors:

  • Own nationality
  • Reason for immigration (e.g. study, work, family and other reasons)


Provisional residence permit (mvv)

This temporary visa allows you to enter the Netherlands; if you or your sponsor applies for an mvv and a residence permit simultaneously it can be referred to Entry & Residence Procedure (TEV procedure).


You are not required to apply for an mvv when:

  • You are a national of the EU/EEA member states/Switzerland:
    • Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland or the United Kingdom.
  • You are a family member of an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen but you own another nationality
  • You hold the nationality of the following countries:
    • Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea, United States of America or Vatican City.
  • You currently hold a permanent residency permit issued by another EU member state
    • Long term resident-EC CE
  • You have been a holder of a ‘European Blue Card’ for 18 months in another EU member state and are now applying fo r a residence permit in the Netherlands as a ‘holder of a European Blue Card’ – the same applies to your family members.
  • Your child has been born in the Netherlands, this exemption applies when your child is 12 years or younger and the parent(s) are lawful residents in the Netherlands.
  • You qualify for a residence permit with the purpose of residence cross-border provision.


Or in the case when:

  • You do not qualify for a residence permit and you have fallen victim – or might have fallen victim to honor related violence/domestic violence.
  • You do not have a residence permit and you are a victim/witness reporting human trafficking, you cannot or will not file a resort or collaborate in another way with the criminal investigation and prosecution of the human trafficker because of significant reasons.

You have a valid residence permit issued by a Schengen member state (Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Czech Republic, Iceland, Sweden, Switzerland) and a recognized sponsor applied for your residence permit.

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons